Sunday 28 January 2007

Towing Day

Today we headed north to go towing, only three pilots including myself plus a driver. We left town about 9am and arrived at the tow paddock, after stopping at the bakery, at about 11:30am.

As I didn't have a tow endorsement I get to do most of the tows for the day. I did the theory in the car on the way so was keen to fly when we arrived. I had taken the Fun as I only have 3 launches in the shark. The day had light winds with thermals coming through that were swinging the wind about and giving a few gusts. There was also a reasonable wind shear to add to the fun.

I took the first tow, having not towed since my novice course I was a bit apprehensive. After a long run in the light wind i shot up as I hit the wind shear, that got me on the ball. once the tow slowed down the tow continued to about 1000'agl without any problems when I hit a thermal and broke the weak link.

I had a few more tows without incident, all to about 1000', and then had a go in the tow car, learning to drive while the other pilots had a fly.

It was then back to the fun for a few more tows. By just after 3pm I had completed all my tows for the endorsement (9 tows), and was starting to feel tired.

We decided to pack up and head home to get home a a reasonable time.

All in all a great day's flying.

No comments: